Latest News

Updates from the Clayton & Brewill team.

A guide to P11Ds

9th May, 2017

It’s almost time to submit your P11Ds for the 2016/17 tax year. Nottingham chartered accounts, Clayton and Brewill, provide some guidance on P11Ds to help you get organised in advance of the July submission deadline.

Clayton & Brewill provide guidance on P11Ds

What is a P11D?

A P11D is a mandatory HRMC form that details expenses and benefits provided to company employees and directors who earn over £8,500 per year.

Who is responsible for submitting P11Ds?

P11Ds are filed by the employer or company and not by the employee.

What needs to be included in a P11D?

 Everything that is an employee benefit or ‘perk’ should be included. Examples include:

  • Company cars
  • Private health insurance
  • Vouchers
  • Season ticket loans
  • Assets that have a personal use
  • Non-business travel expenses
  • Non-business entertainment expenses
  • Leisure subscriptions
  • Relocation expenses

What doesn’t need to be included?

Prior to April 2016, certain expenses didn’t have to be reported if the employer obtained a special dispensation from HMRC, this has now been replaced by an exemption system.

Certain routine, business related expenses don’t need to be reported to HMRC. These are known as ‘exemptions’.

Exempt expenses include:

  • Business travel costs (and associated subsistence costs)
  • Business entertainment expenses
  • Business credit cards
  • Professional subscriptions or fees

When do I need to submit my P11Ds?

Regardless of your company year end, all P11Ds must be filed by 6th July following the tax year in question and the Class 1A National Insurance Contributions (NICs) paid by the 22nd July 2017.

What are payrolled benefits?

If you collect tax on employee benefits and expenses through your payroll system you do not need to complete a P11D.

If you opt to payroll your benefits and expenses you need to inform HMRC prior to the start of the tax year you wish to payroll for. This can be done online.

You must add the cash equivalent of the employees’ benefits to their pay and then tax them through your payroll.

If you opt to payroll your benefits and expenses, you will still need to work out the appropriate NICs and complete a P11D(b).

What is a P11D(b)

A P11D(b) is basically a form that declares that you have sent P11D forms to HMRC and is also where you report on the Class 1A NICs due on associated expenses and benefits.

Penalties apply for not submitting your P11Ds on time, so it’s important that you comply. It’s always better to do these things sooner rather than later to allow sufficient time to gather the relevant information.

If you need assistance with your P11Ds, our friendly team can help. Please call us or send us an email for further information.

Get in touch
We'd love to talk to you about how we can help. Please leave your details here and one of our team will get back to you as soon as possible.